Get Deadly Poison Off Store Shelves

Keep our children, pets and wildlife safe from poison.

Keep our children, pets and wildlife safe from poison.

Did you know that anyone can walk into a store and pick up deadly rat poison right off the shelf? And that these poisons often end up accidentally sickening or killing wildlife, pets and even children? The Center for Biological Diversity is asking retailers to pull deadly d-CON products from their shelves. You can help now by taking a step to decrease the likelihood of accidental poisoning of animals and children.

Act Now!

Why It Matters:
Second-generation anticoagulant rodenticides — or “super-toxic” rat poisons — are responsible for more than 10,000 accidental exposures to children and cause unintentional deaths to pets as well as endangered wildlife.  They work by interfering with normal blood clotting and induce a slow, agonizing death by internal bleeding. Endangered San Joaquin kit foxes, golden eagles and Pacific fishers are bleeding to death because of them.

The risks of selling rodenticides to the public outweigh the benefits of using rodenticides in homes, where they can potentially sicken children and kill pets. These poisons travel up the food chain from rodents to larger predators like eagles, hawks, falcons, owls, bobcats, mountain lions, and endangered Pacific fishers and San Joaquin kit foxes. When wildlife feed on poisoned rodents, they themselves become poisoned and often die excruciatingly painful deaths.

A recent excellent article Rat Poisons Threaten Health Of Wildlife, Pets and Kids (Lynne Peeples, Huffington Post) notes that these poisons often end up killing the wild animals that would be doing the rodent control for us, such as birds of prey and coyotes.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is trying to address the problem of accidental poisoning by banning super-toxic poisons and by placing common-sense restrictions on certain dangerous products. The makers of d-CON — one brand of those products — are opposing the agency’s decision in order to continue selling hazardous poisons.

A package of rat poison on the store shelf may seem like a small thing, but its negative impact can be far-reaching.

About Author

Peggy FrezonPeggy is an award-winning writer specializing in pets, with stories in The Ultimate Dog Lover, Miracles and Animals, and others; a regular contributor to Guideposts magazine; and a contributor to more than a dozen Chicken Soup for the Soul books. Her first book is Dieting with my Dog (Hubble & Hattie, 2011). Her “pet cause” is pet adoption, sparked by the love of a scrawny stray beagle-lab named Happy, an orphaned farm mutt named Corky, and currently, her rescue spaniel-mix pooch, Kelly. Peggy enjoys sharing tips and inspiration in her twice-monthly web column, Pawsitively Pets, and on her blog Peggy’s Pet Place.View all posts by Peggy Frezon →

  1. Dee
    Dee03-12-2013

    A scary fact about the anti-coagulants versus what will be replacing them en masse: Anti-coagulants can be treated effectively if caught in time via massive doses of Vitamin K.

    However, rodenticides containing Bromethalin are what will likely replace the anti-coagulants, and there’s no remedy. “It’s a neurotoxic rodenticide that can be very difficult to treat,” she said. “It does not have an antidote, and it does not have an antemortem test.”

    That information from the AVMA scares me to death. https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/130315k.aspx

    I think I’ll just stick with depending on the feral cats out here in the country.

Leave a Reply